Monday, October 22, 2007

Growing Like a Weed

Dandy and I became closer and closer at work after that one night in the bar when he held me by the shoulders, looked me in the eye and told me that Rocky was a douchebag and I deserved better. He was always right there to offer me a helping hand with a smile and a compliment. He wasn't traditionally good looking, but he had that Southern charm going for him. He was always polite, with a laugh and a twinkle in his eye. And on a more shallow note, because he was considerably less attractive than me, he treated me like I was the most beautiful girl in the world.

At the end of the night at work, we'd be standing together polishing glassware until one night he finally mustered up the courage to invite me to hang out. It was like pulling teeth, naturally. For days, he simply stammered out the question of "What are you doing tonight, Carrie?" I'd tell him and he'd reply "Cool... cool." and that was it. Finally, I had enough of these timid tactics and said, "Nothing, what are you doing tonight Dandy? Maybe we should hang out."

It started with him buying me drink after drink in the bar, showering me with praise and compliments and telling me that he'd never met a girl like me. A northern girl with such wit and charm and a laid-back cool attitude. I was down-to-earth and chill, a badass cool girl. These were all his words. I'm a little conceited, but I assure you I'm not that narcissistic. The nights began with a few beers and cocktails and great conversation full of laughs and compliments and flirtations and ended with a drunken kiss here and there.

I told him about the McRugby saga, as well as the Rocky situation, and he in turn, opened up about his latest relationship. He had been dating a girl who was 6 years his junior and the difference in maturity levels was taking a toll. He said it was like dating a high schooler. I listened sympathetically as he told me how she was now going off to school an hour away and that he knew it was over. He said that he cared about her, maybe even loved her and that he still cares about her because she could bring him to his highest high. But in the same respect, her immaturity and selfish nature also would beat him down and bring him to his lowest low point. I marvelled at how being spurned by one asshole had led me right to this sweet southern gentleman. It felt like we were coming from very similar situations and after a few conversations, part of me couldn't help but wonder if fate had put us on near identical paths that would ultimately cross.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Dandy really does sound like a great guy. However, this sounds familiar to me in terms of past situations and relationships. Are you attracted to him? Sure, he's cute and adorable, and since he's so nice and sweet, he's the guy you should be with, but do you feel that FIRE, that WETNESS between your legs?

I've been in too many relationships where there was none of that. It's a sadly easy trap for me to fall into. I mean, he does sound like a great guy, but be careful. You absolutely NEED that crazy attraction.