Thursday, October 25, 2007

Caught Between a Rock and a Dandelion

You would think that my mind would be made up. That there would be no contest between this sluttacious prick and the slightly awkward and bumbling, yet mysteriously charming, albeit goofy, guy. But as soon as Dandy began expressing an interest and we began hanging out a lot, wouldn't you know that Rocky came waltzing back into my life, eager to pick up right where we left off.

Suddenly, he began spouting off all of the pretty things that swayed me in the beginning. Except now he started using words like "girlfriend" and trying to be something he wasn't, making false promises that he thought I wanted to hear. Physically, I don't think he saw Dandy as competition, but he could see that emotionally, Rocky saw that Dandy was prepared to offer me something that he couldn't, and felt threatened by it. And despite his notched up belt, he seemed to be protective of his conquests.

The Rocky versus Dandy battle raged on in my heart and my mind for over a month. Who did I want more? The nice guy who had just sort of snuck up on me by being the support system I'd desired for months, or the one who I wanted but couldn't have, but now suddenly could? On paper it seemed so simple because one treated me well and the other didn't. But the fact was that had it not been for being spurned by Rocky, I probably wouldn't have taken an interest in Dandy. Hence, the predicament I found myself in.

It all came to a head when a large group of us, including Rocky and Dandy, decided to go out to dinner. Rocky sat next to me and spent the entire meal whispering sweet nothings about how beautiful I looked and meanwhile, Dandy was positioned directly across from me and kept joking and smiling and making kissing faces at me, until we both burst out laughing. The alcohol was going down like it was water and by the time the entrees rolled out on our 4 course dining extravaganza, I was hammered. After the conclusion of dinner, while we were waiting on dessert, I stumbled to the bathroom with my galpal and drunkenly lamented the situation I was in. I weighed the options about Rocky versus Dandy and how I needed to choose one of the other.

After talking it out for a while, I decided that Dandy was the right choice to make. He had been nothing but an upstanding, nice, decent guy, and the only reason why Rocky was entertaining the thought of picking things back up with me was because I was suddenly poised to be taken off the market. The simple and most obvious choice really, but matters of the heart are never quite so clear when it pertains to you... or when you've consumed copious amounts of alcohol.

I left the bathroom with a new perspective and a new mission. I turned a deaf ear to everything Rocky was saying to me and once we ate dessert and paid out, our group moved to the nearby dive bar that we loved and frequented often. After bouncing between the two guys, playing the flirtation game, I sauntered up to Dandy and began making out with him in the middle of the bar, approximately 5 feet away from Rocky. Tacky? Most definitely. But, in my defense, I was drunk and it was the only way I knew how to publicly make my decision. I went home with Dandy that night to begin yet another chapter in my life.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

If I were drunk, I would have done the opposite!

Seriously, it's so obvious that he only wanted you because he couldn't have you. So many guys are like that.